The Programmable XBee is a set of libraries, plug-ins, samples and tools offered by Digi which have been designed to facilitate the development of applications for programmable XBee modules.
Programmable XBee provides the following resources:
- XBee extensions for CodeWarrior : A set of plug-ins that extends the functionality of CodeWarrior development . These plug-ins add specific functionality for Digi's programmable XBee devices. They provide better integration of the XBee modules within CodeWarrior, simplifying the development of applications for these modules.
- XBee firmware library: A specific and extensive API is also provided to facilitate the development of applications for the programmable XBee modules. The library includes several functionality components that can be configured and added to the project graphically, thus simplifying the application development process.
- Package Manager: The Package Manager is a plug-in that allows users to manage the different software, documentation, updates and patch packages that keep the XBee extensions and the rest of the components updated.
Following links explain what the CodeWarrior and XBee extensions are, and their purpose.
1.1. CodeWarrior Development Studio IDE
CodeWarrior Development Studio is a complete Integrated Development Environment (IDE) that provides a highly visual and automated framework to accelerate the development of the most complex embedded applications.
The single development environment of the CodeWarrior Development Studio is consistent across all supported workstations and personal computers within an organization. Its features and usage remains identical across the supported platforms. There is no need to worry about host-to-host incompatibilities. Learn once, use everywhere.
The CodeWarrior Development Studio contains all the tools needed to complete a major embedded development project: Text Editors, Compilers, Debuggers, etc.
1.2. XBee extensions
The XBee extensions is a set of plug-ins which extends the functionality of CodeWarrior development IDE. They add specific functionality for Digi's programmable XBee devices and provide better integration of the XBee modules within the CodeWarrior IDE.
The addition of these extensions in CodeWarrior simplifies the development of applications for these modules.
The XBee Extensions offer a wide variety of state-of-the-art development tool features that make development of programmable XBee applications easier and faster than ever before. These tools include intelligent editor configuration capabilities that initialize components of projects with simple configurations.
A very reliable development environment is created by combining the XBee extensions, the XBee firmware library, documentation, samples and third party tools; all under the same product and connecting them to the CodeWarrior IDE. Developing any programmable XBee application project within this environment has many benefits:
- Simplifies software development resulting in an accelerated and more efficient design process.
- Feature-rich and future-proof; common look-and-feel minimizes effort required to learn new tools.
- Easy and direct access to information saves time and effort.
- Optimal and most efficient “out-of-the-box” development experience.